FAQ (English)


 Q: How much approximately will  it cost for an international student to study in Canada?

A: Usually there are two  major types of cost for studying in Canada. The first type of cost is school  expenses including: tuition, material cost, and any other school fees. The  school expenses vary in different provinces and schools. The annual school cost  in Ontario or British Columbia is around $12,000.00. The second type of cost is living  expense including: house rental fee, food, health insurance, and other cost. Usually,  the annual living expense in Canada is around $10,000.00 – 12,000.00.


Q: Do I need to pay  tuition fee before registering courses?

A: Yes, you do.  International students must prepay their tuition fee before being able to  register in courses. Some institutions will require international students to  pay certain amount of deposit before registering courses, but this deposit will  directly go to their account as their tuition fee after their registration. Worth  to mention that there are still few colleges doesn’t require the prepaid  tuition, that means the students only required to pay the registration fee even  though paying certain amount of deposit will help the visa application.


Q: How long does it take  to process the student’s Canada visitor visa if the application is made in  (China)?

A: After sending the  application to Canada visa office, the applicant will get the response in  around 1-2 month.


Q: What is the school  starting time in Canada in a year and when will  be is the best time to go to Canada?

A: Usually, Canada schools  start the new semester in January, May, and September. For some institutions,  majority of the programs will start in September, and a few of them will be  offered in January. The best time for students to go to Canada will be one month  before the semester starts so that they can have some time to settle down in  Canada and get familiar with Canadian life.   For those whose English ability is low, we suggest them to go to Canada  even earlier to        prepare  their English before the courses start.


Q: What documents do I  need to submit to apply the post-secondary institutes in Canada?      

 A: The most common documents required by Canadian institutes include a  valid study permit (if the application is made in Canada), passport picture  page, and original or notarized high school transcript and graduation  certificate. Students also need to submit a standardized English test score  (such as IELTS and TOEFL) to meet English Proficiency Requirement. For some  specific department, students may also require to submit their study plan,  resume, reference letter, and portfolio.

Q: What is university transfer program? How many maximum  credits can I transfer to university?  

  A: University Transfer Programs are  offered by colleges and universities for the procedure of granting credit to a  student for educational experiences or courses undertaken at another  institution. Some common UT situations are:   university to university, college to university, and high school special  post secondary traning program to university or to college.  Transfer credit is not guaranteed when a  student transfers from one institution to another. Universities only accept  students transfer up to 60 credits from other post-secondary institution.  Whether the students will be accepted or not depends on their GPA of the UT  courses they take.


Q: Can I work after school  or during weekends in Canada, if I am an international student with study  permit?

A: Yes, you can, but you  must apply for an off-campus work permit to legitimize your working experience.  This work permit will allow you to work 20 hours per week during the school  session. CEC will help its member student to acquire the off-campus work  permit.


Q: How do I qualify to  apply for post-graduate work permit? Can I become immigrant after my study in  Canada?

A: You will be qualified to  apply for post-graduate work permit when you graduate from an eligible program  (usually minimum 2 year academic program) at post-secondary institution. This  work permit is valid 3 years which allows you to gain some valuable  Canadian Experience. If you successfully get a full time job offer within the  specific work category and your study discipline, you may qualify to apply for  the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) for the Canadian PR status.  Otherwise, after working for a minimum period  of one full year, you are eligible to apply for permanent residence status  through Canadian Experienced Class (CEC).


Q: How can I take money to  Canada safely and legally?

A: There are two major  methods to bring money into Canada. The first way is to transfer money into  your Canada bank account through an international  local banks using telegraphic money  transfer system (European or Chinese for instance). The second way is to use money order issued by international local  banks and deposit it into Canadian account when you are in Canada ( Chinese, Mexican, etc).  You are also allowed to carry money in cash  with you into Canada, but you would have to report to the Border Custom Agency  for any amount of money exceeding $10,000 CAD.  

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: