Post graduate studies


Post graduate studies
  • How does the higher education system work?
  • What courses are available?
  • Where can I study?
  • What are the entry requirements for postgraduate study?
  • When do I apply?
  • How do I apply?
  • How much will it cost?
  • Are any scholarships available?
  • Are there any exchange programmes?
  • Will my qualification be recognised in the Canada?

How does the higher education system work?
The Canadian higher education system has three tiers:

Licence – equivalent to a Bachelors degree, usually takes three years of study;
Master – equivalent to a Masters degree, usually takes two years of study – students choose a ‘professional masters’ if proceeding to employment, or a ‘research masters’ if they wish to continue to a doctorate;
Doctorat – a PhD, usually takes three further years of study.
Higher education institutions in France fall into three broad groups:
Private institutes of technology.
Career college and technology/Health institutes are high profile institutions where entry is by a very competitive entrance exam.


What courses are available?
See Canada Universities for a list of courses available and information on all aspects of student life. It also has an information sheet on courses taught in English.
The Host English School in Toronto can help with any queries regarding study in English and has a special reference library  which holds university info.

Where can I study?
Canada Universities has information on various institutions offering postgraduate study.
See Hineni Top Universities for a list of the top 15 Canaidan universities and further information on where to study in Canada.

What are the entry requirements for postgraduate study?
The university system is open to all students, including those from other countries, as long as they hold the appropriate entry qualifications (usually the equivalent to a Canadian degree or baccalauréat).
You will need to have your undergraduate degree certificate and transcripts translated into English or French (Quebec) and authorised. Visit WES  for details on translating your certificates.
Host English School recommends that before students take up further study in English, they take the IELTS . This qualification is accepted by most Canadian universities as proof of competence in English. Students who do not have the IELTS may be required to take a language test.


In Canada, postsecondary education is the responsibility of provincial and territorial governments, and each jurisdiction has its own quality-assurance mechanisms. There is no national system of education. It is important to note that, in Canada, postsecondary education encompasses all types of formal instructional programs beyond secondary school, including academic, vocational, technical, and continuing professional education, whether offered by universities, colleges, or institutes.
When do I apply?
Applications for the following academic year of study usually need to be submitted by January – early February.

How do I apply?
Check with the higher educational institution about their application procedures as each institution operates differently.
There is a convenient centralised online application system on the Canada universities website where you can apply via the discipline that you want to study:
Literature and Humanities
back to top

How much will it cost?
Fees are normally much lower than in the UK at $3000-$6000 per year of study, except for some postgraduate courses and the career colleges. 
Combining part-time work and study is very common. Hineni Media provides general information on finance for NonCanadians and Migrants students.
Canada Universities estimates the monthly budget for an international student at around $1,000 and gives a sample student budget.


Are any scholarships available?
Canadian scholarships are open to foreign nationals who plan to study at postgraduate or postdoctoral level in each other’s country. The closing date is usually in February or March and the scheme is administered by the Canadian Embassy .
Listing and information is available by subscribing to Hineni Membersite.

Are there any exchange programmes?
Foreign students on undergraduate degree courses, Masters programmes or some PhD programmes may be interested in spending time studying in Canada through  exchange scheme. This programme covers all subject areas


The quality of Education in Canada is high and internationally accepted – The cost of living and tuition fees are lower than most western countries except New Zealand and Australia – Culturally, it is very easy for foreigners to integrate in most Canadian big cities, especially Montreal, because it is such a very multicultural city – Canadian people, especially Quebecois are very nice, friendly, and charming – In terms of weather, you can ski 4 months a year and there are so many outdoor activities in summer.

Will my qualification be recognised in the Canada?
Qualifications you gain in Canada should be recognised in internationally, although you may need to have the certificate translated into English. Canada is a member of ENIC-NARIC, a network of national centres that aims to improve academic recognition of diplomas and periods of study including in European Union (EU) member states, EEA countries and associated countries in Central and Eastern Europe. The website includes information on current issues in international academic and professional mobility, and procedures for the recognition of Canadian (and other European) qualifications.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: