Posts Tagged ‘ Life in Canada – Work ’

Settling In Ontario, Canada

Settling In Ontario, Canada 

One of the first things you may wish to do when you move to Ontario  is contact the  Newcomers Club to Canada which is located in Toronto. The organization can help you with apartment rentals, language training, applications for Social Insurance Numbers, Health Care, Canada’s Child Tax Credit, help with banking, shopping and much more. There is also a Newcomers Guide to Toronto that you may find useful.

 Finding a Place to Live

Ontario is a great place to live. There are also numerous small communities throughout rural Ontario; Creemore, Dunnville, Elora, Fergus, Meaford, Neustadt, Paisley, St. Jacbos, St. Marys and Thornbury. In or near these communities you will discover crafts, breweries, fine dining, historic limestone architecture, sandy beaches, and outstanding fishing, skiing, hiking and caving.

Visit the following sites for information on apartments rentals, real estate for sale, buying land, and building on Toronto. There are several storage facilities on city if you need to store furniture and household items for a short or extended period of time.

You can use the Address Locator (where by entering a civic address), you can find information about emergency service providers, electoral information, school districts and much more. You can also visit the PlaceFinder where by entering in a community name you will find information about business in the area, real estate for sale, census information and community photographs.

 English Language Training

There are several facilities which provide language training on Ontario. Several of these facilities are listed below:

Host English School

YMCA – Rexdale Youth Resource Centre
1530 Albion Road, Suite 83
Etobicoke, Ontario M9V 1B4

The Career Foundation
9050 Yonge Street, Suite 318
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4C 9S6
1 800 477-4217 (toll-free in Ontario)

Polycultural Immigrant and Community Services
3363 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M8X 1G2
Phone: 416-233-0055
Fax: 416-233-5141

 Working in Ontario

In order to work in Canada you must have a Social Insurance Number. You can visit the employment page of Info Ontario or subscribe at  Hineni Media  for information on career planning, employment programs and services, and a list of jobs currently available on Ontario.

 Another useful resource for newcomers is Workopolis.

 Paying Taxes in Canada

The Canada Revenue Agency oversees the collection of federal and provincial taxes in Canada. The Guide for Newcomers to Canada will help you determine your residency status and your tax obligations.

 The Goods and Services Tax (GST) credit is paid every three months to individuals and families with low to moderate incomes to help offset the GST/HST that they pay. You must apply to receive the credit.

 If You Have Children

Ontario has an Immunization Program for children from birth through to grade nine. Although your child is not required by law to be vaccinated, it is highly recommended that your child be immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria. However, if an illness for which there is a vaccine is diagnosed in a school, those children who have not been immunized for that disease will not be allowed to attend the school until it is safe to return to school.

 If you have children under the age of 18 who live with you and you are considered a resident of Canada for income tax purposes you can apply for the Child Tax Benefit. This is a tax-free payment based on family income that qualifying families receive to help them with the costs of raising children.

 There are numerous child care facilities on Ontario which provide after school care, play schools, day cares, and kindergarten programs.

 Children who have reached their sixth birthday by January 31 are eligible to attend school. (Students between the ages of 7 and 16 must attend school.) Parents also have the option of home schooling their children. Students attend elementary school for Grades 1 through 6. Junior high schools educate students in Grades 7 through 9 while bigger high schools offer education for students from Grades 10 through twelve. Almost all school-aged children in the province attend one of the 65 English language or 5 French language public schools. Approximately 1% of children in the province attend one of the more than 25 privately operated schools.

 Ontario”s public schools are operated by 3 elected school boards and are funded by the provincial government. As specified in the School Act [PDF File], school boards provide for instruction, management of personnel, facilities and the transportation of students.

 To determine which schools your child can attend, visit the Address Locator where, by supplying your civic address, you can determine which family of schools is available for your neighborhood. To register your child at one of these schools, contact the school directly.

 There are approximately 30 students in a typical school class. Students eat their lunch in their classroom or in the school cafeteria.

 Students are not required to wear uniforms to school although most schools have a dress code concerning what can be worn.

 Students are not required to write entrance exams to enter high school.

 Universities and Community Colleges

The University of  Toronto, commonly referred to as UoT, offers a multitude of courses in Arts, Sciences, Music, Education, Nursing, and much more. The Health, Veterinary and Nursing College is part of the University . The College’s modern facilities have many unique features which include state-of-the-art laboratories, high tech classrooms, diagnostic services and  Health Related Teaching Hospital with clinics even  for small and large animals.

 For many years, George Brown, Seneca and Humber College  have welcomed students of all ages and educational backgrounds to its full-time, contract and continuing education programs. At  their  training centres located throughout the province, students are made to feel at home in a friendly and comfortable setting. With small class sizes, instructors have time for their students and there is a personal quality to the learning experience. Students come from all over the world to study at George Brown, Seneca and Humber College.

 The curriculum for all of  those College’s programs are industry driven. Those college’s diploma and certificate programs are recognized for their combination of theory and hands-on training and are led by instructors hired from industry, all of whom have experience in their own particular occupation. Programs are reviewed and updated regularly and utilize the most advanced facilities, learning materials and technology.

 All theree College offers more than 65 full-time programs and customized contract training, and is home to The Culinary , Police Academy, and the Marine Training Centre.

 There are also several private training schools which operate in Ontario too.

 Health Care

All new residents must register with the Department of Health and Social Services in order to become eligible for a Ontario Health Card (OHIP). Persons who establish permanent residence in Ontario from elsewhere in Canada will become eligible for insured hospital and medical services on the first day of the third month following the month of arrival.

 New or returning residents must apply for health coverage by completing a registration application from the Department. The application is reviewed to ensure that all necessary information is provided. A health card is issued and sent to the resident within two weeks. Renewal of coverage takes place every five years and residents are notified by mail six weeks prior to renewal.

 Ontario  has a Patient Registry Program which provides coordinated support to new residents in need of physicians.

 Driving in Ontario

When someone moves to Ontario  from another country, they must register as a new driver with the Department of Transportation and Public Works.

 Individuals registering as new drivers from elsewhere in Canada, the United States, Germany or Austria do not have to register as new drivers on Ontario. You will be issued a Ontario license of equivalent class for the regular cost of the license for the designated period. Written, vision and driving tests are required if your previous license has been expired for over one year. For those moving here from Switzerland, you will be issued a Ontario license of equivalent class for the regular cost of the license for the designated period once a vision test is completed.

 Once you receive your Ontario license your original license is invalid. In Canada and the US, your license will be returned to your former jurisdiction. If you are moving here from a foreign jurisdiction, your out-of-country driver’s license will be kept on file with the Registrar of the Highway Safety Division for possible subsequent return.

 For more information about obtaining a Ontario Driver’s license visit the below site. Information about driving laws and regulations, traffic rules, vehicle registration and inspections is also available online.

 Import Taxes and Duties

The federal Canada Customs and Revenue Agency oversees the importation of items from other countries and the collection of taxes and duties on those items. Visit their website for:

information for settling in Canada or coming to Canada to study or work
information about postal imports
answers to frequently asked questions
Importing Vehicles

Vehicles purchased in other countries may not necessarily be approved for registration and use in Canada. Visit the Transport Canada website for current information on bringing vehicles into Canada.

 Income Security

Governments at the federal, provincial and municipal level help people who are unable to provide for themselves and their families.

 Special programs help people in different circumstances, such as:

raising children (Canada Child Tax Benefit),
retirement (Canada Pension, Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement),
job-related injuries (Workers’ Compensation),
the loss of a job (Employment Insurance),
longer-term unemployment (Social Assistance).
Most of these benefits are for people in specific circumstances and must be applied for individually if the qualifications are met.

 Gun Owners

In order to bring firearms into Canada, they must be registered with the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC). Important information for Canadians who have been living out of the country and who are returning to Canada with firearms, or non-residents who are moving to Canada with firearms is available on the CFC website.

 Voting in Elections or Running for Public Office

 Federal Government

To vote in a federal election, you must be a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old. To run for public office in a federal election you must be a Canadian citizen.

 Provincial Government is regulated by the Provincial Election Act

 Qualification of Candidates:

is 18 years of age, or will attain that age on or before ordinary polling day;
is a Canadian citizen;
has been ordinarily resident within the meaning of section 22 or 23
in the province for the 6 months immediately preceding the date of the writ, and
in the polling division on the date of the writ.1996, c.12, s.20. A resident of the Town for a period of one year preceding the date of nominations.

Qualification of Electors:

is 18 years of age, or will attain that age on or before ordinary polling day;
is a Canadian citizen;
has been ordinarily resident within the meaning of section 22 or 23
in the province for the 6 months immediately preceding the date of the writ, and
in the polling division on the date of the writ.1996, c.12, s.20.
Municipal Government is regulated by the Municipalities Act

 Qualifications for Councillors:

not less than 18 years of age;
a Canadian citizen;
a resident of the Town for a period of one year preceding the date of nominations.
Qualifications for Electors:

not less than 18 years of age;
a Canadian citizen;
a resident of the Town for a period of six months preceding the date of Election.


Important:  This information guide does not contain visa information. We recommend that you order one of the immigration guides listed or use our services for settllement available in Spanish, English and French . For detailed Canada citizenship, PR Cards, self help immigration documents and Canada visa information.