Posts Tagged ‘ canada Co-ops work & internships ’

Getting a Work Permit Before a Job Offer in Canada?

Could you apply and obtain a work permit without a job offer? Or do you have to have a job sponsoryou  for the visa after they’ve made an offer?

No. You need a Job offer first. Your work permit is to an employer. If you don’t have an employer they don’t know who to issue it for. In the case of  students pursuing higher studies in Canada, internatinal students will now be able to obtain a work permit without producing a job offer letter. 

Canada has announced changes to work permits for international students who graduate from eligible programs at certain Canadian post-secondary institutes. International students would be able to obtain open work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program with no restrictions on the type of employment and no requirement for a job offer.

“Open and longer work permits provide international students with more opportunities for Canadian work experience and skills development,” Mr Kenney, Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration was quoted as saying in a statement.

The increased flexibility offered by the expanded programme will benefit graduates and employers alike as the programme will help international students get important work experience while responding to Canada’s labour market needs, the statement issued by the Canadian High Commission said.