Archive for June, 2014

Applying for a Job in Canada

Applying for a Job

  • How do I apply for a job?
  • What kind of CV do I need?
  • What will the interview process be like?
  • Will my qualifications be recognised?
  • Do I still need to pay Canada tax and National Insurance?
  • What are the next steps?
  • Our Services
How do I apply for a job?
You can begin the application process from your home country but you will probably need to be in Canada for the interview stage unless a company offers you a telephone interview.
Typical methods of application include online application forms and CVs with covering letters.
What kind of CV do I need?

CVs in Canada are similar to those used in the UK (see applications, CVs and interviews for ideas ), but you will not need to include your marital status in your personal details. Check our Resume & Writing services


What will the interview process be like?
The interview process is usually comparable to UK recruiters’ procedures. Small companies use a single interview, while larger multinational companies may employ a variety of methods from interviews to psychometric tests or assessment centres. Check this blog often or Register in Hineni Member Site  for more information on interview techniques in Canada.
Will my qualifications be recognised?
Employers should recognise qualifications equivalent to the post-16 Baccalaureat, college or university degrees. They may ask to see evidence of these qualifications and so you may need to have your degree certificate and transcripts translated into English or French and certified.
If you wish to compare your professional, vocational or technical qualifications wit Canadian qualifications, consult WES. To compare your academic qualifications, contact Canadian Academic Centre for international credentialsor contract our office for a small fee to help you to go through the process.
This Blog also gives information on how to make your skills and qualifications easily understood in Canada.
Do I still need to pay Canada tax and National Insurance?
Foreign nationals living and working in Canada pay taxes to the Canadian government and can probably  receive credit with the their government for income tax on return to the UK, USA or so. If you are planning to live and work in Canada, check your local tax and National Insurance position with the correspondence Revenue & Customs to ensure that you are not losing any of your local pension rights.
What are the next steps?
Find out more about work experience in Canada. Check whether you need a visa. Look for jobs using these vacancy sources.
Our Services
We are a well-known and established job reporting service. Through investigating and consolidating contract positions leads from every possible online and printed source—including various Contract  job boards and employer websites, we uncover thousands of new Contract employment opportunities each day.

If you are interested in Canada to live , employment , study or for business , we  publish content that help  foreign workers to find work within Canadian companies that are looking for internationally trained professionals.

Please sign up for the low subscription fee of $49.95 yearly.  This fee will give you access to our job reporting or Mayor Canadian Employers directory. Please note that you will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours or less with your user name and password. This is to ensure that the website stays exclusively for international trained professionals and Canadian companies. Also remember that 10% of your subscription fee will go into Bet Haderech Congregation.


Your personal information is not released to anyone. Please contac us with any questions you may have. If you wish you may email your resume (curriculum vitae) and cover letter for revision and consideration.  For  subscriptions to job resources click  HERE


Where Are jobs available in Canada?

There are many ways to look for a job in the Canada, we have listed the most relevant below.

Finding a job

Internet: Over the last decade the online job market has exploded into the mainstream and in the  Canada it is now the most popular way to apply for work, especially among younger people and graduates. Online recruitment websites allow you to search according to your criteria, such as sector, salary and region. You can also post your CV on websites so that companies looking for specific skills can find you.

Newspapers & Magazines: Broadsheets such as Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, Toronto Sun, etc all have job offers, mainly for executives and professionals, as well as sections dedicated to specific professions, i.e. teaching, computers, media. In Ontario, check out the Toronto Sun (mainly for business and secretarial positions), Metro and  for lower level jobs.

Recruitment agencies: Most agencies specialize in a particular field such as computers, nursing, secretarial work, accounting, catering, construction, and so on. There are also “Head hunting” agencies which are hired by big companies to recruit executives, managers or professionals. Others deal solely with temporary staff (temps), and can find you work in an office or as a babysitter, cook, gardener, security guard or any other type of job. To find an agency you can either look in the “employment agencies” section of the yellow pages or go to xxxx  for a list of agencies and their specialist fields.

Career fairs: A good place to get started is to visit a career fair. Fairs usually have a range of employers and concentrate on a specific sector. Usually you apply by sending in your CV and employers decide who they want to meet in advance. As well as getting general information on employment perspectives in different companies, it is often possible to arrange interviews.

Speculative applications: If a specific company is of interest you can send a speculative application. Applications are retained and checked against positions as they become available in some companies.

Chambers of Commerce: Contact the local chamber of commerce of your home country in the  Canada, as they are often asked for candidates and sometimes have a database of open job positions. Often a chamber of commerce will have a list of companies from your home country doing business in the  Canada, which can make good targets for speculative applications.

Jobcentres: They can be found in every town and focus mainly in jobs for the non-professional. They usually have databases of local, national and European vacancies and know about local employers and their needs. Their advisers can help you with all aspects of finding work. They normally have newspapers, books, leaflets and Internet access to support you in your job search

Networking: Sometimes getting a job is about knowing the right people or being in the right place at the right time. You could join an expats club or attend social gatherings where you think you could meet people that are well connected. Just mingle as much as you can and make sure you let everybody know you are looking for employment.


For up-to-date tips on CVs, job applications and interviews, visit our link on foreign national employment, You may also find useful information on your  Canada job search on our link  for  foreign national recruiters and international HR professionals profiles.

How to Get job in while out of canada Part II

Let’s say that you just arrived in Canada. Most people come to  Canada without knowing where to search for work.
In this short article I’ll provide few tips from my own client’s experience, even though he lives in  Canada only for 8 months, he consider himself  as a “professional Job seeker”.

There’s few things that you should have with you most of the time:

  • – Passport – They will ask you for it when you will try to open a Bank account and at any recruitment agency, and when you will want to rent a room/ apartment,
  • – Driving License – If you have one, maybe you don’t realize, but if you come from any US or any country that is a member of European Union your driving license is valid in  Canada, and for about $$+ you can exchange your driving license to a  Canada one – really useful in getting a job,
  • Social Insurance or SIN Card – When you first arrive to  Canada you won’t have Canadian SIN, but once you get it, memorize or carry the card with you at all times,
  • RESUME or  CV – Essential for getting a better job then manual one, and in some agencies they will ask for a CV whether you look for an office work or for a manual one. Get one great services here

Recruitment Agencies and such

Not many people realize that  Canada is a great place to find a job! It really is. You have not only Recruitment Agencies, but also government-sponsored companies that will help you with your CV (I’ll provide a good CV example in other article), with confidence during an interview, and that will advice you where to look for a job suitable for you.

Unemployment in  Canada exist only because of  some English teenagers who are too lazy to work and rather have two kids and live with parents and claim welfare or social assistance  then study or get a better job. I see it every day, 15 year old girls with a child or two and a young dude who isn’t even sure if it’s his kid. (Sorry for off topic)

As soon as you get to the place in  Canada where you would like to live sign up in every recruitment agency and remember that keeping good relationships with people who work there is essential for getting a job, because only from those people it depends whether they get you a job or no.

Call them often!

When you work for a Temp Agency, then sometimes they will have nothing for you, that’s why it’s best to sign up to few of them. But when you are without a job call them, once a day, just asking if there is ANYTHING you could do, they won’t mind, they are used to it, so you better get used to it too.

Of course, there are downsides of getting a job through Recruitment Agency. An agency earns money each hour that you work. They “sell” your work to a company that they cooperate with, so that company, pays let’s say 11$ per hour of your work, but you get only 9$, the  2$left goes to recruitment agency. It’s a good place to find first job, just to make some money for living, so you don’t die of hunger, but in a bigger perspective it’s best to find a job through Job Centre or Friday-Ad or any newspaper that posts job offers.

Keep improving!

In your town, even if it’s small, there has to be a library, there usually you will be able to find out about free courses. Maybe there’s Learn4Life, maybe something else, but there has to be something that will provide you with free improving your skills.
It’s very important to show your employer that your skills and personal development are essential for you and that you are willing to invest energy to learn new stuff.

Most people come to  Canada with some education and some skills and just stay same, get any job and generally stop improving. The key to a real success is to keep improving, learning new stuff, not to be stagnant.

More on this topic in few days when I gather more info and get used to my new job.

If you have an offer of temporary employment, you may be entitled to a Canada Temporary Work Permit. With a Work Permit, you could be in Canada in a matter of weeks to months. A work permit lets you work in Canada temporarily. Many foreign skilled workers who come to Canada on Work Permits can eventually qualify for fast-track Canadian Immigration (Permanent Residency) through one of the Provincial Nomination Programs, the Canadian Experience Class, or Arranged Employment.