An Intra-Company Transfer work permit or procedure in Canada

Canada allows for the transfer of certain employees (executives, senior managers and specialized knowledge workers) to the Canadian branch, subsidiary or affiliate of an international company, without the involvement of HRSDC.

NAFTA, GATS, and Significant Benefit to Canada with intra-company transfers, unlike a full Canada Work Permit application, a company is not required to advertise the position to be filled. However they must detail the reasons for the Intra-Company Transfer and also the duration of the Intra-Company Transfer.


Employers can expect an Intra-Company Transfer processing time of between one and four weeks once the application has been lodged with Work Permits (Canada) for initial approval. The Intra-Company Transfer visa candidate will then need to apply for Canada Entry Clearance

Description: Intra-Company Transfers (ICT) allow an employer to fill a specific need that they are not able to fill from the resident Canadian work force. An Intra-Company Transfer Canada work permit allows a non-Canadian resident to work in Canada in a specific role for a specific company. The application for work permit must be made by the sponsoring company.

Duration A visa for an ICT can be valid for between one day and up to seven years, depending on the length of time requested by the sponsoring company. The duration of the Intra-Company Transfer visa is also at discretion of the Home office.

Eligibility Criteria :
Position To be eligible for ICT the position the employer is seeking to fill must meet NCO levels 0, A, or B . Furthermore, if the candidate works in a profession they may be required to be registered with the Governing body. For example a doctor must be registered with the  Medical Council of Canada. To be eligible the employee must have a level of knowledge that is essential to the post in Canada.

Education. The candidate must have either:
◦a relevant degree, or
◦a non relevant degree and one year of experience, or
◦no degree and three years of relevant experience.

Employee History with Organization The employee for whom the Intra-Company Transfer work permit is being sought must have been employed by the overseas company for at least six months prior to the application. This relationship must be evidenced before a visa can be issued.

Additional Information
Spouse / Unmarried Partner A spouse/unmarried partner will be eligible for a dependency visa providing they will cohabitate with the holder of the Intra-Company Transfer visa. For an unmarried partner they must be able to prove that the relationship has been in existence for at least two years prior to making the application for ICT

Marisol Diaz  is  an experienced workshop presenter, specialized information publisher, and  a SOHO specialist. She also  has been writing on Canada settlement and  immigration law since 2006. contact her @ You can improve your Canada job search through the Canadian database  for Int’l Employers  here ,  an Paid Content or Informational Services run by Hineni Media

Note and disclaimer: No attorney/client relationship is formed through the submission or viewing of this article. This article is not intended as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney. The facts of every case are different and individualized advice should be sought from an attorney before proceeding with any case.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: