FINDING A JOB IN CANADA Occupations in Canada Non-Regulated fields(II)

 Regarding recognition questions there is a difference between academic and professional recognition. In Canada (as in most of the group8  countries) the higher education institutions are directly responsible for the academic recognition (admission, continuation of studies).

Credential recognition   or professional validation  is the recognition required to obtain the right to work in a certain field. Professional recognition differs between regulated and non-regulated professions. In the first case the authority in charge of the regulation of a certain profession must be determinable, as the authority regulating the education leading to a profession is also responsible for the recognition of foreign diplomas in this field. If the education or the right to work is not regulated, then the professional recognition lies solely within the responsibility of the employer. He or she decides whether the qualifications submitted by the candidate are adequate for the job in question. This applies both to Canadian and foreign nationals. However, the Federal Secretariat for Economic Affairs (feco) prescribes the quota regulations for foreign employees, which regulate the granting of work permits. Most self-employees working in non-regulated professions do not need professional recognition but it’s advisable. They are only dependent on the rules of the free market.

Some professions are not regulated but most of the professions in Canada are regulated. In other words, there are  prerequisites such as education, age, experience etc. to be met.

Regulated and Non-Regulated Professions and Occupations in Canada

About 20 per cent of Canadians jobs are “regulated occupations” that require individuals to be licensed, registered or certified before they can legally begin working. Regulated occupations are governed by a regulatory body or college that sets standards of practice, registers or licenses qualified applicants and disciplines members when necessary. The regulatory body is also responsible for assessing and evaluating the credentials of applicants.

Most health professions are governed by regulatory bodies. Some examples are doctors, dentists, nurses, dietitians, midwives, pharmacists, opticians, physiotherapists, naturopaths, psychologists and chiropractors.

Some examples of non-regulated professions include:

•Social Workers
•Funeral directors

The majority of jobs in Canada are “non-regulated occupations” that don’t require workers to be licensed or registered. Non-regulated occupations range from jobs requiring a lot of education and responsibility to little formal training. Some examples of non-regulated jobs are computer programmers, waiters, office managers, journalists, graphic designers and housekeepers.

Newcomers often choose to work in a non-regulated job while they become licensed in a regulated occupation. The Working in Canada Tool  can be used to determine if your occupation is regulated or non-regulated.

Recognized Trades
Workers must be certified to work in certain trades in Ontario; in other trades, certification is voluntary. Certification means you have passed a provincial examination and earned a Certificate of Qualification to work in a particular trade. Before writing the exam, you must prove that you have experience in the trade and provide a number of documents, including a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card, letters from previous employers or a current employer, letters from unions, certificates, diplomas, licences and official school transcripts.

Examples of certified trades include:

•Automotive service technician
•Sheet metal worker

Examples of trades in which certification is voluntary are: baker, painter, cabinetmaker, cement mason, chef, automotive painter, machine engine technician, locksmith, draftsperson, drywall finisher, powerline technician, roofer, educational assistant, early childhood educator and welder.

Many employers and unions ask for a Certificate of Qualification even though certification is voluntary. To apply for certification, contact the Employment Ontario Network in person, online, or by calling the toll-free line 1-800-387-5656 (TTY 1-866-768-1157). Service is available in 25 languages.

It is a good idea to join a Canadian professional or trade association in your field. These associations are a good source of information about jobs and other information related to your trade. Members are usually required to pay annual fees or dues.

What’s the best source of  Canadian company information ? The company’s Website, of course! It’s absolutely amazing what you can find published on company Websites. You can either try directly entering the company name in your favorite browser.

The best source for conducting your initial Canadian company research is Hineni Database,  published by Hineni Media. This database, updated annually, provides general information about types of jobs within a large number of occupations; the outlook for job growth; working conditions; average earnings; education and training required; related occupations specially for internationally trained professionals; and sources for finding more information. The  database’s content   is an ideal  place to start your  Canadian search.


Marisol Diaz  is  an experienced workshop presenter, specialized information publisher, and  a SOHO specialist. She also  has been writing on Canada settlement and  immigration law since 2006. contact her @ You can improve your Canada job search through the Canadian database  for Int’l Employers  here ,  an Paid Content or Informational Services run by Hineni Media

Note and disclaimer: No attorney/client relationship is formed through the submission or viewing of this article. This article is not intended as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney. The facts of every case are different and individualized advice should be sought from an attorney before proceeding with any case.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: