How to Get Professional Licensure, Accreditation, and Certification in Canada

Canadian Qualifications Recognition / Determining the Equivalency of your Foreign Degree

Recognition of foreign credentials is a challenge for all professions in Canada. There have been many articles in newspapers and magazines on how various professions and trades deal with credentials obtained outside Canada. Hineni Media’s office frequently receives calls from prospective employers, and from job seekers, asking about the equivalency of foreign credentials.

In Canada, professionals such as engineers, doctors, dentist, pharmacist, lawyers and teachers must be licensed to practice in their profession. It is illegal to hold oneself out to be a licensed professional without approval from the appropriate regulatory body.

Canada does not have a national system of institutional accreditation; rather, education falls within the jurisdiction of the provincial governments.

Each regulatory body assesses academic credentials and professional experience in order to determine whether a candidate meets the requirements for licensure. Some regulators have other requirements as well. For example, in addition to academic and experience requirements, the Professional Engineers of Ontario requires applicants to be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, be at least 18 years of age, be of good character and to have successfully completed a Professional Practice Exam.

We develop an Fast Track Individual Accreditation Help Plan and  Fact Sheets, where you gather the necessary documents and information, and we arrange for translation, complete application forms to initiate the application process, and pay the application fees on behalf of the applicant. In most cases, the application process can be expedited by developing the Accreditation Plan and applying for licensure before the applicant moves to Canada.

Why Accreditation?

Accreditation assures within and outside of Canada that the school’s programs are delivered by qualified faculty and are up-to-date. A degree or other credential from an accredited school or program can help make you more competitive on the job market.

Once You are in Canada

Foreign professional credential recognition in Canada is a territorial and provincial responsibility. However, the federal government has taken on a “facilitative role” in response to the difficulties migrants have faced in the past after migrating to Canada.

Newcomers to Canada can also turn to the Foreign Credentials Referral Office (FCRO), which helps internationally trained individuals find the information they need to get their credentials assessed and recognized more quickly. Established in 2007, the FCRO provides information, path-finding and referral services to help internationally trained individuals use their skills in Canada. There are now 320 Service Canada centres across the country offering in-person services to newcomers.
Contact us now for info-assistance with your application or Guide to Professional Accreditation

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: