Application For A Work Permit | Getting Into Canada

 If you want to work in Canada for a limited period of time, in most cases, you must have a valid work permit issued by the Canadian government

Types of Working Visas:

1. Temporary Work Visas
2. Skilled Worker Visa (one of the easiest ways to migrate to Canada)

For the  TWV, you will need to meet the following requirements:

Some temporary workers require a work visa and some do not. For some categories of workers, visas are approved more quickly. The requirements and processing times depend on the sort of work the applicant will do when they come to Canada.

To be employed in Canada, foreign workers must generally obtain a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Service Canada, unless the work category is exempt from the LMO process. A Labour Market Opinion confirms that the Canadian employer is authorised to employ a foreign worker. Thereafter, foreign workers must generally apply for a work visa at a Canadian visa office abroad. Depending on the type of work they will undertake in Canada and where they have resided in the last year, foreign workers may also require a medical examination before entering Canada.

For the SWV, you will need to meet the following requirements:

Have the minimum work experience necessary
Have sufficient stand-by funds for the initial re-settling
Qualify for the visa by earning the minimum necessary points
Have the requisite language skills (qualify in the language tests according to the Canadian benchmarks)
Your visa application will pass through a six level selection test after qualifying the point system mentioned above.

Canada Work Permits

Almost all foreign national who wants to work in Canada must have a valid work permit to work in Canada.  Below steps to easy up the journey:

•Download the temporary work permit application kit and guide (in PDF). You can also contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area to have a temporary work permit application kit mailed to you.

• Read the guide carefully. Processing fees for temporary work permit applications are not refundable, so be sure you are eligible for a temporary work permit and can meet the requirements before you apply.

• Follow the instructions to complete the forms and attach the required documents. Make a copy of your application for your own records.

•Pay the fee and get an official receipt. Check with your local visa office on fees and how to pay them.

•Submit your application. For details on accepted methods of submitting your application,  consult the visa office responsible for your area.

Work Permit Validations: work permit without HRSDC

The Human Resource Development Canada (HRSDC) is responsible for the validation of the potential position and will consider only the factors related to the specific job. Although validation is not necessarily a requirement by law, it is the most common way to verify that the Canadian job market will not be adversely affected by the introduction of a foreign worker. This process is completed within Canada, and demands considerable effort on the part of the prospective employer. The time requirement for the process is generally approximately 4-6 weeks.

Some exceptions to the work permit without HRSDC confirmation include people who are in Canada and need to support themselves  or in  if they are going through an immigration or refugee application.

You should know that  some volunteer activities and international students at  Canadian universities on-campus employment do not require a Work Permit.  For those, a valid Study Permit is enought as it allows an international student to work ON-CAMPUS ONLY at the institution where he/she is registered as a full-time student.

If you’re working under PGWP,(postgraduate work permit)  then you don’t need an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO).  Your job is a HRSDC confirmation exempt,  under this status you don’t need an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO).  And since you’re already working in Canada, there can be no question about its authenticity, i.e. nothing to be verified by HRSDC’s AEO.  A letter from your employer confirming their willingness to continue hiring you on a permanent basis once you get your PR is sufficient, it will do. This could be incorporated in your letter of employment and further supported by your employment contract.
If you are not a student but you are already working in Canada under a work permit  and want to extend your working status you need to apply for an LMO.  You first need to get your employer to do an LMO application for you as they are not easy. You SHOULD be awarded 10 points for arranged employment (AE)  with just an LMO. You might need to do an AEO later on, after LMO approval, but first you need to get LMO.

Professionals, businesspersons, traders and investors entering Canada to carry out work as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement do not need a confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). A similar regulation exists for other people entering into Canada who require work permits which may be governed by other international agreements.

Some entrepreneurs, intra-company transferees and other workers who provide a significant benefit to Canada may not need to request a confirmation from HRSDC either.


Under NAFTA, U.S. and Mexican citizens have exactly the same rights to work in Canada in the NAFTA  categories. Again, application is made directly at the border with proof of U.S. or Mexican citizenship, a job offer, and the necessary qualifications. There is an application fee of $150 Cdn.

Under the NAFTA treaty, citizens of Canada, the United States and Mexico can gain quicker, easier temporary entry into the three countries to work, conduct business or engage in investment activities.  Business people covered by NAFTA do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by HRSDC to employ a United States or a Mexican business person, as set out in NAFTA. Business people covered by NAFTA must, however, comply with the general provisions on temporary entry to Canada. NAFTA work permit is a great option for any North American professionals such a lawyers, doctors, dentists and teachers to work temporarily in Canada.

The Live-In Caregiver Program

The Live-In Caregiver Program (LIC) in Canada  is offered and administered by the government of Canada and is the primary means by which foreign caregivers come to Canada as eldercare, special needs, and childcare providers.  Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Foreign live-in Caregivers must meet certain Citizenship and Immigration Canada criteria before being admitted to Canada. These criteria reflect the education, language and skill level necessary for the foreign worker’s successful integration into the Canadian labour market:

1. Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian high school education.
2. Six months of full-time training or 12 months of experience in a field or occupation related to the job you are offering. For example, the training or experience may be in early childhood education, geriatric care, paediatric nursing or first aid. 
3. Ability to speak, read and understand either English or French. The Caregiver must be able to function independently in a home setting. 

Read more about the Live-in Caregiver  Program

Quebec  Immigration Processs, read this post   and also here

Note : You dont need a immigration lawyer. Your waisting time and money  remember, it is the government who pays an immigration officer to decide the outcome of your case, not them.  First thing you do is to check the website of  CIC.  All the information, from empty forms,  fees and processing time, etc is there.



Marisol Diaz  is  an experienced workshop presenter, specialized information publisher, and  a SOHO specialist. She also  has been writing on Canada settlement and  immigration law since 2006. contact her @ You can improve your Canada job search through the Canadian database  for Int’l Employers  or  the Canadian Employers Directory  ,  a Paid Content   or Informational Services site run by Hineni Media.

Our Canadian database  for Int’l Employers !

Access more than 400,000+ Canadian province-specific company profiles in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, consumer goods, consulting services, finance and technology.  Search for Jobs or Seasonal Visa Jobs  in Canada. Available only to premium subscribers.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: