Archive for November 2nd, 2009

I am a foreign national and want to work in Canada. What options do I have?

We have a nice publication “Working in Canada” by Hineni Media, which addresses most of the issues faced by foreign nationals working and residing in Canada, including samples of work permits, need to register with local authorities, solutions to handle customs issues and similar advice most helpful to foreign nationals in Canada.

The publication is available for sale in PDF format (will be sent to you by e-mail) at a mere USD 20.00
Please drop a line to if you will be interested to receive this publication.
Best regards,
Hineni Media Publishing Manager

How to start an immigrant life in Canada

There important steps you need to take once you start living in Canada


Go to the nearest Social Security office and apply for a Social Security card. You will need to present your passport with the temporary green card stamp. The card will have your lifetime Social Security Number (SSN). Memorize this number because you will use it a lot for things like employment, a drivers license, paying taxes etc… Your card will arrive in a couple of of weeks.
Step 2 FIND A JOB.
Step 3 DRIVERS LICENSE (DL). Go to the nearest Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office to obtain a drivers handbook, study it at home and if think you are ready, return to the DMV for the written exam. . Present your passport and a second form of identification (ex. birth certificate, SSN, etc…) to apply. There is also a fee you have to pay up front. Contact a driving school or study at home to prepare for the written test. You will first have to obtain a student permit by passing a written test. The student driver permit authorizes you to practice driving accompanied by a licensed driver. The next part is the actual road driving test. A DMV examiner will ride with you and grade your driving skills. If you pass, you will get your license in appropiate time. Check with your provincial DMV for more information.
Step 4 LEARN THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICE. While waiting or getting ready for your driving tests, your must learn the public transport service in your area. Bus or Train companies will mail you their bus schedules and maps upon request. Using public transport is a lot cheaper than owning a car. If you are job hunting, I suggest that you start looking for one close to bus or train stations.
Step 5 LIBRARY CARD. The library will have a lot of resources to help you started in your job hunting or research. A lot of companies post job requirements at libraries. Also check out posted resources for new immigrants, ex. free English or French as a Second Language (ESL) courses.  The library is also a great place to make new friends.
Step 6 CREDIT CARD. Credit is a big part of Canadian living. A good credit history will save you money in lower interests with important purchaces like a house or a car. As soon as you get a job, start applying for gas cards, department store cards or bank atm cards. Do not be discouraged if your application is denied. Put some time between applications because time at work is also a factor. Use your credit wisely. Credit card companies will give you a high credit limit to encourege you to spend and get into deep debt with them. Do not charge anything you cannot repay.
Step 7 CHECKING & SAVINGS ACCOUNT. Open checking and savings accounts with your nearest bank. Your checking account is for making payments, daily expenses, gas or entertainment. Religiously set aside an amount into your savings account to prepare for emergencies, for a down payment towards a car or home.
Important:  This information guide does not contain visa information. We recommend that you order one of our publishing material or  immigration guides listed for detailed Canada citizenship, PR Cards, self help immigration documents and Canada visa information.

Immigration to Canada: New Regulations

Immigration to Canada: New Regulations 

Under changes to the Immigration Act which went into effect on November 28, 2008, a skilled worker is only eligible to qualify and apply if:

a)      you or your spouse/partner have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment in the last 10 years in one or more of the occupations listed below:
*NOC (National Occupational Classification Numbers) 

NOC 0111: Financial Managers

NOC 0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers

NOC 0311: Managers in Health Care

NOC 0631: Restaurant and Food Service Managers

NOC 0632: Accommodation Service Managers

NOC 0711: Construction Managers

NOC 1111: Financial Auditors and Accountants

NOC 2113: Geologists, Geochemists and Geophysicists

NOC 2143: Mining Engineers

NOC 2144: Geological Engineers

NOC 2145: Petroleum Engineers

NOC 3111: Specialist Physicians

NOC 3112: General Practitioners and Family Physicians

NOC 3141: Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists

NOC 3143: Occupational Therapists

NOC 3142: Physiotherapists

NOC 3151: Head Nurses and Supervisors

NOC 3152: Registered Nurses

NOC 3215: Medical Radiation Technologists

NOC 3233: Licensed Practical Nurses

NOC 4121: University Professors

NOC 4131: College and Other Vocational Instructors

NOC 6241: Chefs

NOC 6242: Cooks

NOC 7213: Contractors and Supervisors, Pipefitting Trades

NOC 7215: Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades

NOC 7217: Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews

NOC 7241: Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)

NOC 7242: Industrial Electricians

NOC 7251: Plumbers

NOC 7252: Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers

NOC 7265: Welders and Related Machine Operators

NOC 7312: Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics

NOC 7371: Crane Operators

NOC 7372: Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction

NOC 8221: Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying

NOC 8222: Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service

NOC 9212: Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing Utilities


b)      You or your spouse/partner have a total pass mark of 67 in the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid.  The six selection factors are:

1)     your education

2)     your abilities in English and/or French

3)     your work experience

4)     your age

5)     whether you have arranged employment in Canada

6)     your adaptability
If you qualify and are eligible to apply as a skilled worker according to the above criteria, you, your spouse and dependent children will receive visas for Permanent Residence to Canada in 6 to 12 months irrespective of your country of residence or where your application is filed.  No offer of permanent employment is required.  This is a major acceleration of processing times for skilled worker applications filed at the present time compared to processing times of applications filed  before February 27, 2008 which are taking 2-6 years. 

Under present regulations new skilled worker applications are first filed and assessed at a Central Processing Centre in Canada.

Important:  This information guide does not contain visa information. We recommend that you order one of our publishing materials or  immigration guides listed for detailed Canada citizenship, PR Cards, self help immigration documents and Canada visa information.