4 Steps to having your Credentials Recognized in Canada

You might ask yourself  how can I get work in my profession in Canada and I telling you that many internationally-trained professionals are surprised by how much time and effort it can take to work in their profession in Canada.

The high levels of education and experience that help you get into the country are not always recognized by professional associations or employers. So it’s best to research and prepare as much as you can before you leave your home country.

A good place to start is with the province professional association in your field. They can tell you whether you’ll need to apply for registration before you can work in your profession in Canada.

Regulatory bodies work with, but are separate from, professional associations. For example, Ontario has both a board of registration (a regulatory body) for Nurses (http://www.cno.org/) and a Ontario Association of nurses (http://www.rnao.org/ ).

Start with  these 4 easy steps:

  • What’s your profession?
  • Find out whether you need a special license or accreditation to practice your profession
  • Check to find out how their occupation in Canada differs from the same occupation in your country of origin and find out the demand for people in your field in various parts of Canada
  • where? visit www.credentials.gc.ca

Professional associations sites also provide specific information for international applicants. You may find information about:

•Certification and registration.
•Examination schedules and preparation.
•Core professional competencies.
•Skills upgrading and professional development courses.
•Internship, work experience and mentoring programs.
•Academic bridging programs.
•Industry trends and information.
•Career centres and job postings.

If you can’t find a professional association in your field

Almost every occupation is connected to some kind of professional, industry or sector association in Canada.

•Use a search engine such as http://www.google.ca/ to search by profession or occupation name and location (for example, “Nurses Toronto, Ontario”).

Obstacles you could face while in Canada in your field.
•All or part of your education may not be recognized. You may need to take courses at a college or university. This may take several years.
•Certification exams are held at set times – often only once or twice a year. And it takes time to prepare for exams.
•You usually need to be in Canada to have your credentials assessed.
•You may need Canadian work experience to get licensed, or to get a job.
•Your occupation may not exist in Canada under the same name.
•In most professions, you will need good English language skills.

Best  Solutions

Register for Co-Ops & Internships Programs

Co-op and Internship programs offer undergraduate students the opportunity to apply the skills they’ve learned the classroom to a real world work environment. As a co-op or internship student, you’ll gain valuable work experience, make industry connections and even earn some money while you’re at it.  Available listings here

In addition to the valuable experience and good pay that a Co-op or Internship will give you, very many of the Opportunities listed on this website also provide travel reimbursement, Housing and Meals. So, don’t let concerns about living expenses or the location of an organization posted on this website prevent you from checking out an exciting and challenging Co-op or Internship position!!

– Note that many organizations do NOT use the term “Co-op”, but DO use the terms “Internship”, or “Summer Undergraduate Research” or “Student Research” (or other similar “research” descriptions) to mean the same as “Co-op”. ALL of the Co-ops, Internships, and the various Research Positions included in this website are Non Paid and Paid, Full-time, Short-term (10-20 weeks) opportunities in positions directly related to the field you might be interested.

Internship: Students enrolled in internship programs spend twelve to sixteen consecutive months in paid, full-time employment between their third and fourth years of study

Work experience programs – these may be offered through employment agencies, professional associations or educational institutions.
•Survival jobs – most new immigrants to Canada take an entry-level position in their profession, or a job outside their field, to pay their bills as they go through the certification process and look for the kind of job they want in their profession.

Register for academic bridging programs – these help new immigrants upgrade their skills or education without having to take a full diploma or degree program. For example, UoT University and the Ontario College of Teachers have a one-year program that helps internationally-trained teachers understand the Canadian education system

Get a Survival job – most new immigrants to Canada take an entry-level position in their profession, or a job outside their field, to pay their bills as they go through the certification process and look for the kind of job they want in their profession.

Important:  This information guide does not contain visa information. We recommend that you order one of the immigration guides listed  http://www.hinenimedia.memberlodge.org or use our services for settllement available in Spanish, English and French . For detailed Canada citizenship, PR Cards, self help immigration documents and Canada visa information.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: