Student placements and working holiday schemes

Each year, more than 130,000 students come from abroad to study in Canada. Most international students will require a Study Permit to study in Canada, however, there are some exceptions. A Study Permit is not required in the following circumstances:

  • For a course or program with a duration of six months or less.
  • For a minor child already in Canada, whose parents have legal status in Canada, other than Visitor Status.
  • For the family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada. 

Working in Canada as an International Student:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada in limited situations. Students are required to arrive in Canada with sufficient money to live and pay their bills while studying. However, in some cases, a student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study:

  • On campus without a Work Permit;
  • Off campus with a Work Permit;
  • In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.


Student placements and working holiday schemes in Canada

1. Student Work Abroad Schemes

This is how most young people from other countries get to have a working holiday in Canada. Unlike the Australian programme; these programmes require that foreigners are either full-time university students, or have recently graduated.

2. Live-in Caregiver Program

Caregivers are people who are qualified to care independently for children, elderly or the disabled. There are some requirements you have to meet in order to participate in this programme.

You must have the equivalent of a Canadian high school education.
You need to have six months of full-time training or 12 months of full-time paid working experience in the field or occupation that is related to the live-in caregiver job you are looking for. The paid work experience must include six months of continuous employment with one employer. Examples of relevant fields are early childhood education, geriatric care, paediatric nursing and first aid. Your experience must have been gained within the three years prior to your application.
You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French.
The work visa will be for one year and must be renewed for the next year before it expires. To renew it the employer must provide a signed contract showing the job as a live-in caregiver is being offered for another year.

3. Working Holiday Programmes

Working holiday visas usually involve age restrictions. Some are for university students only while others are employer specific and work more like a temporary work visa. Canada has different agreements with different countries. In general, such visas are restricted to 18-30-year-olds. Quebec has its own agreements with particular countries, especially Belgium and France.

Visit for mor information

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: