Archive for June 8th, 2009

How to get a Canadian study permit and a temporary resident visa

If you want to take an English course for more than 6 months, then you will need a Study Permit and you have to study a full time program.

Who Needs a Study Permit?

If you need a Study Permit (student visa) to come to Canada, then you have to study a Full-Time program like those offered by Host English School Super Intensive Program with 40 lessons, Intensive Program or any of the Specialized Programs with 30 lessons per week.  Their Letter of Acceptance will indicate your selected Full-Time program. It shows the beginning and ending dates of study and the amount you have paid in advance.

Study Permits are issued by Immigration Offices only when the study time is longer than 6 months.

Who Needs a Visitor’s Visa in addition to the Study Permit?

Applicants from many countries will need to apply for a Visitor’s Visa (TRV-Temporary Resident Visa). The documentation and process to obtain the TRV is very similar to applying for a Study Permit. In this case, you must satisfy the Immigration Officers that you can support all the expenses of your trip and that you will return to your country after your visit.

In general, Immigration Officers will understand better and believe you more that you are coming to Canada to study an English course if you register in a Full Time Program.

You can use contact of our Agents and Representatives to help you with your Visa application.

If you are already in Canada with a TRV and want to study at Host English school, you can take their Part-Time programs like Semi Intensive AM Program or Semi Intensive PM Program.

Benefits of Having a Study Permit

You should apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada if you think you may wish to continue your studies in another program after you complete the short-term course or program.

If you do not have a valid Study Permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada to apply for one. The nearest processing centre outside of Canada . Students will need to have a valid American Visa to go to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, NY or Seattle if you are in the Canadian west.

How to Apply for a Study Permit

Print the Application for a Study Permit in Canada found in our website. (If you are from certain countries, the Immigration Officer will process your application for a Temporary Resident Visa as well as a Study Permit. You do not need a separate application).

  1. Collect the documents you need to apply. Here are some of them:
    • a valid passport
    • a Letter of Acceptance from Host English School
    • proof that you have enough money to support yourself for your entire stay in Canada. For example, a letter from your bank in your country and a written pledge of financial support from a parent will show immigration officials that you can afford your expenses while you are in Canada. These expenses include tuition, homestay, transportation, medical insurance, personal needs and return trips home
    • a medical clearance if required by immigration
    • a letter from your employer or sponsoring organization if you are being sponsored
    • CAN 5 for the application fee
  2. Complete the application for a Study Permit. Fill in the forms carefully and completely:
    • Follow the instructions
    • Use your computer, a typewriter or print clearly, using black ink
    • Add appropriate characters for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Cyrillic, Japanese, Hebrew, Chinese, Arabic,  etc.
    • Sign and date your application forms
  3. Include the correct Application Fee.There is a processing fee to apply for a Study Permit. The current rate is 5 Canadian dollars for a Study Permit, and for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Verify acceptable methods of payment with the office where you submit your application.
  4. Make sure that your application is complete.Consult the Visa Office or use our services to see if you need to fill out any additional forms or provide any additional documents.
  5. Submit your application.Fees, and required documents to a Visa Office at the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for the country in which you are living.
  6. Supply additional information or documents when the Visa Office requests it. This may include:
    • Medical Examination Results.You must pass a medical exam, if you come from a country with high health risks; or if you will be studying or working in a place where protection of public health is essential.A Visa Officer will advise you if you need to take a medical examination, and will provide you with instructions on how to proceed. If you need a medical examination, processing your application could take at least three extra months.
    • Police Certificates/Certificate of Good Conduct.A Visa Officer may request a police certificate to prove to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Officers that you are a responsible person and that you do not have a criminal record.Police agencies may do a criminal or security background check. These checks may be done on anyone over 18 years of age applying for a Study Permit.

      If you move or change your address, your telephone or fax number before your application has been processed, you must advice Canadian authorities of this new information. Contact the Visa Office where you submitted your application.

When you apply for your Study Permit, there is no guarantee of acceptance. You should not take any final steps, such as purchasing plane tickets or quitting your job, until your Study Permit is approved.

If you have any questions about your application, please contact the Visa Office where you submit your application.

After You Apply – The Status of Your Application

The Visa Office will review your application to make sure you have completed it correctly and that it contains all of the required documents.

After reviewing your application, an officer will decide if an interview is necessary. If so, the officer will inform you of the time and place.

If Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept your application, they will notify you of the reasons for refusal in writing.  Study Permit applications may be refused for the following reasons:

  • You have not shown proof of financial sufficiency
  • You have not passed the medical examination
  • You have not satisfied the Officer that your primary intention in Canada is to study
  • You have not satisfied the Officer that you will leave Canada at the end of the period of study. Please note: you are allowed to apply to study in Canada even if you are applying or considering applying to immigrate permanently to Canada now or in the future. However, the Officer must still be satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for your stay (in the event that your permanent resident application is refused).

If you have questions about your refusal, you must contact the Visa Office that issued you the refusal letter.

Application Approval Documents

If your application is approved, you will receive:

  • A letter of introduction confirming the approval. This letter is not your Study Permit. Bring this letter with you to show to immigration officials when you enter Canada and in that moment you will receive the Study Permit.
  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in your passport If you are from certain countries. Check the Temporary Resident Visa (if applicable) that the Officer puts in your passport. It will tell you the date by which you must enter Canada, and how many times you can enter Canada. You must arrive in Canada before your TRV expires.

If you need more information or would like to use our services contact us at

Sponsor your relatives to Canada

Any relatives wanting to come to Canada?

Now is your chance! There are so many options to chose from. If you want to help your relatives back in your birth country  whom you want to experience Canada’s promise of quality living, there are several ways that you can do. You can either help them get a work permit or an immigrant visa depending on their qualifications Your other relatives may send their resume to us for initial assessment or evaluation for FREE. Find out the many ways on how you can help your relatives:

1. Help them secure a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) This option is suitable in acquiring a work permit by helping your relatives find an employer who is interested in hiring them. One of the problems faced by any foreign employer is that most of them are not aware of the process in filing an LMO. At most times, this process is even new to them. Moreover, they also do not like the costs of hiring foreign workers.  This is where our service becomes more valuable. We try to make everything simple, convenient and risk-free for the employer. Refer the employer to us and we will facilitate the processing of the LMO for your relatives.

To get you more familiar with the procedure, let us explain the typical process and the time it will take to get a working visa issued in your home country. Filling out the application for LMO properly takes time and requires expertise. Application for LMO is filed with the HRSDC in the respective province for approval. The processing time for getting an LMO approved once the application is filed varies by provinces; typically it may run up to three months or could be lesser. Once the LMO is approved, the employer will send the approval notice to your relative in your country, who will file the application immediately. The working visa processing time in your country is now can be approximately ten (10) weeks; notwithstanding, the medical examination that is also required from the applicant, which also adds additional 3 months to the total processing time.

Total processing time is estimated to be: LMO approval 3 months + visa approval 2 months + medical 3 months for a total time of 8 months to get the working visa issued. Obviously, the time frame discourages a lot of employers from hiring your relatives. Sad to say, this is going to be the process anywhere they go if they want to hire foreign workers. If the employer is in dire need of workers, there is no choice but to work within the system and let the employer know the truth. But if the employers really wanted a faster processing, we are ready to guide and show them the alternative ways of doing it.

 2. Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) This option works very well for those who have filed their immigrant visa application as well as for those who are yet to file an application with the Canadian Embassy in your host country. Through this option, should the employer process an Arranged Employment Opinion or AEO for your relative, your relative has the chance to go to Canada with an immigrant visa. The process is very similar but not the same to the working visa or LMO process.  The employer still has to file with HRSDC an application for approval of the AEO. Immigrant visa processing period for those with AEO is only six (6) months. Ordinarily, it will take three (3) years on the average.

3. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) Most provinces in Canada have respective programs that has shorter processing period for an immigrant visa application. Through this program, you may be able to help your relatives get a nomination certificate from your province. Each province has its own list of requirements and conditions that an applicant must qualify before he or she can apply. Most of them require that there must be an employer who is willing to sponsor your relatives. The end result of this program is getting an Immigrant Visa for your relatives with a shorter processing period. For Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward, Nova Scotia Residents or Citizens… With your province’s Provincial Nominee Program, it is easier and more convenient to get a nomination certificate for your relatives. All it takes is an affidavit of support from you. No need to look for employer for your relative.  We can help your relative prepare the forms accurately, enhance his job description for better presentation and advise them on the correct documents that are required. Residents or Citizens from other provinces, application for a PNP normally takes an employer to process this option.

If you decide to help your  relatives go to Canada, or Should you have queries and or concerns, please feel free to contact me at Telephone number  647.448.2052 or email me at

Defining a Canadian LOM and AEO

Defining a Canadian LOM and AEO: LMO Vs. AEO

Many people ask me to explain the difference between a Labour Market Opinion(LMO) and an Arranged Employment Opinion(AEO). Since both involve job offers and applications for Human Resources and Social Development Canada(HRSDC) the confusion is understandable. A labour market opinion (LOM) is required to facilitate the issuance of a work permit to a temporary foreign worker. In issuing a positive LMO letter, HRSDC confirms the job offer made by a Canadian employer to a prospective foreign employee. Prior to confirming the job offer,HRSDC-Service Canada officer must be satisfied bringing a foreign temporary worker to fill a position in the Canadian labour market is justified under the circumstances.The onus is with the employer to prove that sufficient efforts were made to recruit a Canadian/Permanent resident for the job. In most cases (there are some HRSDC confirmation exemption categories) the employment of the foreign worker will only be authorized by CIC if the positive LMO letter is accompanying the work permit application.

Arranged Employment Opinion,(AEO) on the other hand,is a confirmation of a job offer which was made strictly to support a skilled worker immigration application. HRSDC will verify the job offer,employer’s history and employee’s credentials are all legitimate. However,since the prospective immigrant is not expected to work in Canada before becoming a permanent resident, the stricter requirements the employer faces in the LMO process are waived. Immigration applicants who hold LMO or AEO, and a job offer letter for a full-time permanent employment, will benefit from consideration under the Arranged Employment factor, and priority processing.

Here are :

1. Steps and procedures in applying for and getting an Arranged employment opinion and
2. Steps and procedures in applying  for and getting a Labor Market Opinion

The approval of a Job offer by the HRSDC is an indication that the worker applying, is required by an employer in Canada to fill out a skill or labor shortage in Canada, therefore applications under this Category may be processed faster compared to applications that does not include a Job offer in Canada.

Note: An LMO will result to a Work Permit and if the Job offer is Permanent and Full time even help the applicant in his or her application for Permanent Residents Visa, while an AEO will only speed up the application of a workers Permanent Residents Application.