If you want to work in Canada you must have a work visa or be a Canadian Landed Immigrant. There are many different types of work visas.

If you are a skilled worker after you have a job offer from a Canadian employer the standard method of obtaining a work visa is a two step process. Step one is to obtain the job validation of Human Resources Skills Development Canada (“HRSDC”) that there is no qualified Canadian available to do the job. The employer must advertise the position in a newspaper. The advertisement must meet strict requirements. If any qualified Canadians reply to the ad they along with the non-Canadian must be interviewed. The interview results and the job validation application must be submitted to HRSDC. HRSDC provides its job validation for the job. Step Two consists of the non-Canadian applicant submitting a work visa application and the HRSDC job validation to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”) for a work visa.

There are a number of work visas options available that allow you to miss the first step of obtaining HRSDC approval. These work visa options allow you to go straight to step two and applying to CIC for a work visa. All of these options require a job offer from a Canadian employer.

Intra-Corporate Work Visa is a good option for a businessman. If a non-Canadian company has a successful business it can set up a Canadian subsidiary company. It can transfer a senior manager from the parent company to the Canadian company and apply directly to CIC for a work visa.

If a non-Canadian is a high tech worker that qualifies there is the Software Program that allows a non-Canadian to apply directly to CIC for a work visa.

If an American or Mexican national is a skilled worker or is a manager being transferred from a parent company to a Canadian related company a NAFTA work visa allows the person to apply directly to CIC for a work visa. If a non-Canadian is a skilled worker and is a citizen of a GATTS signatory country the GATTS work visa option is available.

If you are a graduate from a Canadian university or college and you have a job offer within 60 days of graduation you can apply directly to CIC to obtain a work visa. If you a non-Canadian in a low skill category you can apply for a Low Skill Work Visa. This work visa option requires the job to be advertised, the employer to meet certain requirements and HRSDC and CIC approval.

Under the BC Provincial (Immigration) Nominee Program if you receive preliminary approval BC PNP can recommend you receive a Federal work visa. 

For professional guidance, assistance and assessment please contact us at:

Hineni Media
3401 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6A 3B8
Telephone: (647) 448-2052 :: Fax:

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: